Monday 20 September 2010

Baroque

Mary Katrantzou Spring 2011 Ready-to-Wear


A couple of years ago I was having a cultural day out down town Quito (Ecuador) with my sister.  Right before we got sucked into a bargain shop which totally put us off our initial quest,  we went inside an astonishing colonial church called La CompaƱia.  Amazed by it's beautiful overwhelming golden detail which covered every last bit of space of the building, we actually agreed to pay to go in and listen to a guide talk about it.  During her speech, the guide told us about the style of this church's architecture Baroque which she described as "fear of space".  That's when my mind left the church and I got to thinking about this Baroque idea and I realized I am Baroque.
Fear of space or love of an empty canvas which could be anything, from a tiny space on a wall, to the pages of a notebook. This is why I have always loved prints and clusters instead of minimalism.

******************************************************

Fillingthespacesofmybusymind
callingforphrasesinfrontbackbehind
turningwithpattersoffloralsandspots
theresroomforideasandplacetoallot.

iambaroque
andbaroqueisme
theworldismycanvas
andIit'sdevotee.

                                                                                                 join me




Iglesia La CompaƱia, Quito - Ecuador



No comments: